TRON is an open-source public blockchain platform that supports smart contracts. TRON is compatible with Ethereum, which means that you can migrate smart contracts on Ethereum to TRON directly or with minor modifications. TRON relies on a unique consensus mechanism to realize the high TPS of the TRON network that is far beyond Ethereum, bringing developers a good experience of faster transactions.
TRON is different from Ethereum, mainly in the following aspects:
Currently, the Ethereum network adopts the POW consensus and will adopt the POS consensus in the future. TRON’s consensus mechanism is DPOS.
Ethereum transactions need to pay gas fees, and the TRON network transactions need to pay bandwidth and energy fees, where bandwidth is a unit to measure the size of a transaction in bytes. The larger the transaction, the more bandwidth resources will be consumed. Energy is a unit that measures the amount of computation required for TVM to perform specific operations on the TRON network. Energy is calculated in the same way as Ethereum. The more instructions a transaction executes, the more energy it consumes, and the amount of energy consumed by different instructions are different.
TRON TVM and Ethereum EVM are compatible but differ in some details.
Ethereum supports JSON-RPC 2.0 specification APIs, TRON supports Http and gRPC APIs, and TRON also provides Ethereum-compatible.
In 2017, Justin Sun, a blockchain expert, created the TRON platform to decentralize the web and create an exclusive decentralized entertainment and content-sharing system. Initially, the network was built on Ethereum.
It eventually shifted to its own blockchain in 2018, which marked the transition of TRON into a completely independent blockchain network that offered greater scalability and features in the blockchain arena.
TRON aims to disrupt the traditional digital entertainment sector, which big companies have primarily controlled. By being decentralized, TRON allows individual content producers to distribute, store, and control what they make, without going through third parties such as Google Play or the Apple App Store. This means creators get rewarded directly, and it also makes content more accessible.
- Storage layer: this layer consists of block and state storage mechanisms for the blockchain’s data storage. It uses a unique distributed storage protocol, maintaining high throughput and scalable data management.
- Core layer: includes smart contracts, account management, and consensus. TRON uses a delegated proof-of-stake (DPoS) consensus mechanism, a more energy-efficient alternative to proof-of-work (PoW) systems used by networks like Bitcoin.
- Application layer: developers can build and deploy decentralized applications (DApps) and custom wallets on this layer, expanding TRON’s functionality and enhancing user engagement in the blockchain space.
TRX is the native cryptocurrency of the TRON network, playing a pivotal role in its ecosystem for various transactions and operations. TRX serves multiple purposes, from basic transactions to participating in network governance through voting for Super Representatives (SRs) — key nodes that maintain the network.
The strength of TRON lies in its ability to connect and interact with different blockchain networks, bringing a greater degree of versatility to the blockchain ecosystem. This feature makes TRON attractive to a larger base of developers due to its compatibility with multiple smart contract platforms, such as Ethereum and EOS. This increases adaptability, making it a powerful and flexible blockchain platform.
At the heart of TRON’s blockchain performance and efficiency is its Delegated proof-of-stake (DPoS) consensus mechanism. Unlike proof-of-work (PoW), which requires extensive computational power, DPoS in TRON relies on a community-based voting system, where TRX holders vote for a small number of representatives, known as SRs. These SRs are responsible for validating transactions and creating new blocks in the blockchain.
This system speeds up the transaction process and significantly reduces the blockchain’s energy consumption, addressing one of the major concerns in the blockchain world.
SR play a pivotal role in the TRON blockchain ecosystem. There are 27 SRs, elected every six hours by TRX holders. The election process makes sure the network remains decentralized and democratic. SRs are incentivized to act in the best interests of the TRON network, as they receive TRX rewards for block production and transaction fees.
This mechanism fosters a self-regulating ecosystem where SRs are motivated to maintain network integrity and performance.
TRON supports advanced smart contract functionality, enabling developers to create sophisticated decentralized applications (DApps) and systems on the network. TRON’s compatibility with Ethereum’s solidity language makes it easier for developers to migrate their DApps from Ethereum to TRON, offering a high degree of flexibility and ease of use.
The platform’s high throughput capabilities make sure that these applications run efficiently, with minimal fees and faster transaction speeds than Ethereum.
TRON differentiates itself in the blockchain market with several unique features:
- High throughput: TRON’s impressive transaction processing capacity of up to 2,000 transactions per second (TPS) positions it as a leader in blockchain scalability.
- High scalability: The network’s three-layer architecture and efficient consensus mechanism enable it to scale effectively, accommodating a growing number of transactions and applications in the blockchain industry.
- High availability: TRON’s decentralized and democratic governance model, combined with its robust technical framework, provide high availability and reliability of the network.
The TRON network supports a variety of wallet catering to different user needs. These wallets range from hardware wallets for secure storage to mobile and web wallets for ease of access and use.
Integrating these wallets into the TRON ecosystem is crucial for user interaction with the TRON blockchain, enabling them to store, send, and receive TRX and other tokens issued on the TRON platform.
Governance in TRON is community-driven, with TRX holders having a direct say in the decisions affecting the network through their voting power. This democratic approach helps to make sure the network evolves in alignment with the interests and needs of its user base. Community involvement is further encouraged through various initiatives, forums, and discussions, fostering a strong and active TRON community.
TRON is a platform for developers attempting to create and run from media and games to DeFi. It provides a swift and reliable system, enabling high-functioning DApps to be produced without the impediments of slow transactions and costly fees, which are often found in other blockchains.
TRON’s high throughput and scalability make it an attractive platform for developers looking to build high-performance DApps without the limitations of slower transaction speeds and higher fees often associated with other blockchain networks.
The DeFi sector has found a robust platform in TRON. TRON’s network supports a range of DeFi applications, from decentralized exchanges (DEXs) to lending platforms, offering an alternative to traditional financial systems. The advantages of using TRON for DeFi include lower transaction fees, faster execution times, and blockchain technology’s inherent security and transparency.
Some of the DeFi applications built on the platform include:
- JustLend DAO: This platform on TRON is the first of its kind, allowing users to borrow, lend, deposit assets, and earn.
- TRON Ninja Staking: TRON Ninjas Arcade Retro GameFi. An assortment of fashionable, varied, and extraordinary Ninjas, each prepared to make an impression in the NFT space.
- JUST: JUST aspires to construct a fair and distributed financial infrastructure that supplies stablecoin lending and oversight capabilities worldwide.
The advantages of using TRON for DeFi include lower transaction fees, faster execution times, and blockchain technology’s inherent security and transparency.
Some of the popular NFT projects on TRON include:
- MegaCryptoPolis: MegaCryptoPolis is a game about constructing a city in a decentralized way. In order for the buildings to function properly, citizens are required to make the microeconomy system work.
- CryptoCubes: CryptoCubes are digital 3D abstractions registered on the Ethereum blockchain as NFTs. Each piece is one-of-a-kind and created by a Python-coded script.
- BCN Garden: BCN Garden is an internet-based, two-dimensional game that can be played alone. It’s a classic-style game created and distributed by the BEM Foundation.
TRON’s growth strategy includes forming strategic partnerships and collaborations across various sectors, enhancing TRON’s utility and supporting its integration into different industries. By collaborating with established companies and emerging startups, TRON is expanding its reach and reinforcing its position in the blockchain ecosystem.
Some of TRON’s core partnerships include:
- Poloniex: In 2019, Goldman Sachs, TRON founder Justin Sun, and other entities formed a strategic alliance to replicate the Goldman Sachs experience in cryptocurrency.
- Samsung: TRON has partnered with Samsung internationally, connecting with the Samsung Blockchain Keystore. This integration allows Samsung’s blockchain wallets to be compatible with TRC10 and TRC20 standards, making TRON the only Chinese blockchain that Samsung supports.
- BitTorrent Protocol: BitTorrent’s alliance with TRON has enabled it to become one of the largest decentralized systems worldwide, with a user base of over 1 billion.
- APENFT Marketplace: A platform on the TRON public chain was created for trading NFTs to promote the production of high-quality content and introduce imaginative activities into the NFT field.
- Swisscom Blockchain: A Swiss startup leveraging blockchain technology to create products that maximize its potential.
- Opera: Opera’s collaboration with TRON demonstrates its dedication to developing accessible, cutting-edge web browsing solutions.
TRON is constantly exploring advancements to the network to expand its potential and enhance the user experience. Many expect the platform’s upcoming developments to focus on increasing scalability, security, and user-friendliness, while also creating deeper developer and community interaction. The TRON network’s malleability and dedication to innovation give it an advantage in addressing the rapidly changing requirements in the digital space.
Many other influential developments are on the horizon for TRON which could help boost its user numbers further:
- Continued ecosystem development: TRON intends to expand the capabilities of the Great Voyage network with features such as Stake 2.0 and liquid staking, boosting efficiency and versatility.
- Key integrations: TRON’s roadmap points to three distinct integrations in its near future — Apollo, Star Trek, and Eternity. The integrations should serve to enhance the network’s performance.